Turquoise is a soft, sky-blue stone that has often been connected with heavenly realms and air energy. Often what is sold is turquoise is a “fake,” either a dyed piece of howlite or low-grade turquoise which has been ground up and reconstituted, usually with the help of binders and dyes. Here’s a video which will provide a good introduction to spotting real vs. fake turquoise: https://youtu.be/ND2nr3OHJmA.
This beautiful stone has been treasured by people all over the world since prehistory. The oldest known pieces of jewelry are the four turquoise bracelets found on the mummy of the Egyptial Queen Zer. A lot of turquoise is found in the southwestern US, where it has traditionally been a valuable trade item. Some tribes such as the Dine consider it an especially holy stone, and it is incorporated into their symbolic and spiritual culture. For example, Turquoise Boy and Turquoise Girl are magical people who reside in the mountain and help the people.
Lore: People have always treasured turquoise for its beauty, as well as for bringing good luck and health. One story from the Egyptian Papyrus of King Snefru (4700 BC) tells of a day when the king was in a bad mood, so he had arranged for beautiful maidens to row him around the palace’s lake. The king was just starting to enjoy himself when one of the rowers lost her turquoise hair decoration in the water. The maiden was distraught, and the king wasn’t too happy either. But then the court magician, Zazamankh, spoke some magic words that divided the waters and brought the gem back safe up in the boat. While this story sounds a little unlikely, it shows how much turquoise was valued.
A Crystal Message about the Healing Properties of Turquoise: “I embody the ancient spirit of the sky. Feel your mind become clear in my presence and graciously accept the gifts spirit is raining down upon you.”
Common Healing Properties of Turquoise:
- Enhances communication with beings from other realms
- Helps you to be mindful of the present moment
- Enhances self expression and communication
- Helps you to live in the moment
- Removes negativity from yourself and your environment
- Enhances self confidence
- Relieves energetic symptoms of acid reflux or heartburn
- Aids in relaxation
- Promotes spiritualascension
- Helps you to remain on the path that is for your highest good
- Boosts the immune system energetically
- Aids in removing negative energy associated with ailments of the eyes
- Reduces energetic causes of acidity in the body and aids in energetic detoxification
- Reduces inflammation